Thursday, January 14, 2010

Farewell Double Black Diamonds

Today, as predicted, I showed up for the one year follow up visit with the orthopedic surgeon. Together we looked at the photos of my hip - too bad I couldn't include them in the Christmas letter. "Looks good!" smiles Dr. McKay. "No reason you can't resume your regular activities." That's good, I say to myself, since I have been pretty 'regular' for the past eleven months. "What about skiing?" I ask, as that is the one 'regular' activity that I haven't resumed. This guy trained in Salt Lake, so I think he knows from skiing. "For the next year, you need to be cautious - no jumps, no bumps, no ( by now I am holding my breath) BLACK DIAMONDS! Ski the groomed trails only and we will talk about this again in a year." I suspect he thinks I will be dead by that time and the conversation will never take place! "I'm sorry" he adds as an afterthought.

Little does he know, this is music to my ears. For years, I have been following Fred and Kate down vertical slopes, over moguls, and into the woods in powder up to my arse, often with my eyes closed and a rosary in my glove, alternating between terror and focused fury. Well, never again! "See you at the bottom" I will wave as I get off the lift and head for the recently groomed trail marked with the pretty blue squares.

We are planning a ski trip in March and I can hardly wait. No more knees knocking as I perch at the top of something called "Execution" or "Mach Five." If you make it down the hill and into the bar, I should be pretty easy to spot. I'll be the one smiling and looking smug with a glass of something red in my hand recalling things of the past and those double black diamonds. Sometimes "bad news" isn't all that bad!

2 comments:

  1. I don't blame you in the least! As I have taken a rather long hiatus from skiing, and in the interim gone to medical school and done an anesthesiology residency, I find I am much less inclined towards those thrilling runs. What thrills can kill- or at least severely maim, and I don't have time for that! So you may have more company than you anticipated on our next family ski trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate - I will be looking forward doing a run or two with you sometime next year when you are back in the neighborhood. Maybe a trip to Mission Ridge is called for. Your company is much better than diamonds, double black or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete