Monday, January 11, 2010

Pruning

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon pruning rhododendrons and viburnum.The pile at my feet kept growing as I found one more branch that just didn't seem to belong. Before you ask if it is the right time of year to prune, let me tell you that any day in January in the Puget Sound when the rain is not coming down in sheets, is a very good day to prune. I love to prune - it is so decisive and final and yet not forever final, if you know what I mean. In our climate, put a broom stick in the ground and within a few weeks, green shoots start to show up. So with rare exceptions, you can prune with impunity. Yesterday's undertaking was especially sweet, knowing that Kevin - the new gardener in my life- would be here in a couple of days and haul everything to the compost pile. What a joy - comparable to having a helper in the kitchen doing the wash up and the put away while you create some complicated dish requiring nearly every pot and utensil.

Kevin is a minor miracle in my life who came to me totally unbidden - perhaps that is the way all miracles arrive. One can hardly log on to Amazon.com and order one up . A friend called just before Christmas to tell me that she had the most wonderful gardener who knew plants, worked hard, and was looking for a couple more clients. There is always lots to be done in my yard requiring various talents. Some tasks are best considered "grunt work" while others require skill and experience, particularly if the helper is going to work without supervision.

Through the years, I have worked with all sorts of yard helpers, most of whom eventually moved on for a variety of reasons. Often, their decision to return to school or "try something different" saved me the uncomfortable task of sacking them. Some treated the job as if they were family members -working at their convenience rather than mine! Nearly all of them misplaced or lost tools, dug up plants I had been nurturing leaving the weeds to flourish. A few flat out refused to do what I asked them to, as if the task were subject to discussion! Ultimately I was back to doing things on my own again and much relieved to be rid of them.

So far, Kevin has shown himself to be different in every way. Gardening is what he does and what he likes to do, so he isn't looking for greener pastures with less work and more pay. When he says that he will be here on Thursday morning at 8:30 he arrives at 8:15. Four hours later, he is gone with the tools cleaned and put away and the yard and my disposition much improved thanks to his ministrations.

Gardening is very satisfying work but like many things, it is most pleasurable when you get to do the things you want to do and somebody else takes care of the other stuff. That's what I've got these days and if that's not a miracle, I don't know what is!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Mary, this is such fun!!!! Not only the blog, but the description of Kevin! I will have to give some thought to finding a Kevin in my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your list of followers has certainly put on some new foliage! At least I can say that I was there first. ',:^D Great post. Wish I had a Kevin who would do ALL of the gardening and landscaping.

    ReplyDelete